Cima della Trosa (1869m)

Just as Thomas boarded his flight back to Hamburg, Anna, Bernd and their dog, Rapa, arrived from Freiburg. We planned a multi-day hike and I booked us a hut in Ticino. Of course we started planning far too late so the choice of huts was limited. I found one on AirBnB that sounded nice. No running water, no electricity, not suitable for small children and only reachable via a steep trail of a few hours of hiking. Just what we were looking for ;-)

What food to pack? Anna and Bernd are gourmet outdoor cooks. Anita and I gladly delegated all cooking tasks - we had our hands full with Leonie.
Just before setting out.
Leonie making sure no one gets left behind.

We packed for three nights and drove to the picturesque village of Avegno just North of Locarno at the Lago Maggiore. The weather forecast predicted 2mm of rain starting in the late afternoon. Instead it was pouring from the moment we arrived and parked our cars. We ended up hiking in non-stop rain for three hours and 900 meters of elevation gain. I was carrying Leonie in a baby sling in the front and a backpack on my back. I couldn't wear my poncho without suffocating Leonie so instead I was carrying an umbrella all the way.

Bernd and Anita. Anna is completely hidden behind them ;-)
Fire salamander.
Leonie patiently waited for an hour past her regular feeding time without complaints. But it was high time now!

Even while we were making our way up the steep granite steps we were unsure of our exact destination. The instructions on the AirBnB website and what the host, Maria, had texted me were contradictory. During our most recent chat she sent me a map with a red line. Treasure lies at the end of such lines, so that's where we were headed. Indeed we found a hut that was open and marked with our host's telephone number. We settled in.

The weather is clearing up.
Our home for two nights.
Beautiful dusk.

Pianosto is a collection of small huts built from crude rock. Most have been there for centuries, ours was apparently built in 1778. Once the weather cleared in the evening the meadow offered beautiful vistas over Lago Maggiore. We had the entire tiny settlement to ourselves. Bliss.

Still sleepy.
Breakfast tea.
Poser dog.

The next day Anita chilled with Leonie while Anna, Bernd, Rapa and I set out to explore the area and climb the Cima della Trosa - the small peak that our ridge cumlminated in. In the afternoon we busied ourselves with collecting firewood for our tiny wood fired stove and generally turning the hut into a cozy home. Just when we were about to cook dinner we heard voices outside and a young couple showed up at our door.

The tiny Pianosto settlement - our home for two nights.
Cima della Trosa summit.

It turned out there had been some miscommunication and the two of them had also booked this exact hut for the next five nights. Maria had texted me some more, but with my phone being the only camera I brought, and no way to recharge it, I kept it in airplane mode most of the time. We knew Maria owned a second hut some 1.5 hours away from here, but there was no way we could pack all our stuff, find the hut and settle in before dark. Much less before Leonie would become seriously cranky because of us upsetting her sleep and food routine.

Collecting firewood. Not quite like Arnold Schwarzenegger, but close ;-)
The stove requires tiny logs...
The reward for our labor.

The two late arrivals were very understanding and adventurous. At first they tried to find another open hut in our immediate neighborhood. They were all properly locked down though and the guy's lockpicking attempts proved fruitless. In the end we agreed to squeeze all of us in for one night. The hut is meant to sleep four. With six adults, a baby and a dog it got very cozy indeed. We invited them to dinner and got to know each other while playing Doppelkopp, a card game we all grew up with.

Small family <3
Discussing serious issues.
Chilling in the sun.

They hailed from Berlin. Him a computer science student and her a nurse. I think our chance meeting proved quite lucky for them in the end. They were ill prepared for a wilderness trip like this. Their gear was barely adequate (thin sweatpants, burlap bags) and incomplete (insufficient food, no candles or flashlights). Same for the skills: trying to fire up the stove in the morning proved futile until Bernd lent a helping hand. What they did have in spades was optimism, high spirits and adaptability. Definitely the right attitude to bring on an adventure! I hope they ended up having a great week up there.

If only the dog wouldn't make such sudden unexpected motions or bark... it would make for a perfect furry toy!
Lunch with a view. Bernd cooked delicious pasta.
Bad weather moving in from behind us.

We packed our stuff and said good bye in the morning, leaving them with a spare candle so they'd have at least some light. After about 1.5 hours of hiking we found the other hut. Again a beautiful location offering sweeping vistas all the way to the Monte Rosa massif. Unfortunately the hut itself proved unsuitable for our needs. Even smaller than the previous one this one was built without any mortar. This meant that the walls are covered in open holes and all the mattresses were moist and moldy and covered in mouse poop. We tried to air them out and dry them in the sun as best we could. In the end we decided to bail down to the valley a day sooner than planned. A night here would have been uncomfortable for us adults and downright dangerous for Leonie. Hanta viruses from mice are no joke. Anyway, the minute we got back to the cars it started raining again and wouldn't stop all the way back to Zürich. So it was probably for the best.

The fateful red line to the wrong hut.

Despite the chaotic itinerary we had a great time and Anna and Bernd are super reliable and strong partners for outdoor adventures like this. I'm most happy about the way Leonie handled herself. Despite the cold, the wet and the unfamiliar surroundings she was a total trooper. She only cried once and that was due to her teething in the night and not anything related to the trip. The rest of the time she took in her surroundings with wide eyes and marvelled at raindrops on the umbrella, gurgling creeks and rustling trees. She happily crawled around on the rough stone and tasted all kinds of grass, rocks and sticks. And of course there was Rapa. The dog was exciting, intimidating and fascinating all at the same time. Way to go girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment