Rophaien (2078m)

Another day of glorious weather. The world's best wife volunteered to take care of our kids (love you!) so I could spend another day in the mountains. At first I considered resort skiing, but my usual snow buddies were unavailable. So I spontaneously decided to go snowshoeing instead. I didn't really have time to prepare properly, so I just eyeballed Google earth for mountains I haven't climbed yet and settled on the Rophaien. It's quick to get to and not too high.

The objective.

After a breakfast-for-two with Leonie, while Anita and Lukas were still in bed, I drove off towards lake Lucerne. For a moment it looked like the tour would be over right there and then, when, after empty roads all the way, I suddenly got stuck in a traffic jam in a tunnel. Emergency vehicles were just arriving at the scene and it looked like it might be a while. But it took only 20 minutes or so and from what I could tell from a rubbernecking drive-by, the accident wasn't too bad.

Hut with a view.

The trail starts directly at the parking lot by the lake and maintains a constant rate of incline up the mountain. No snow, but frozen mud. After a while I reach my turnoff: the regular trail proceeds to traverse the mountain while I want to follow the white-blue-white steep trail up to the summit. It's rated T4, but at this point there is sufficient snow to turn it into a real challenge. The slopes are steep and often end in vertical drops. Not a good idea to go skidding down the mountain here.

Steeper than it looks!
This was frickin' exhausting!

From below it looked like the snow cover was thin and I might have carried the snowshoes for nothing. This changed significantly as soon as I got close to the ridge. The wind had accumulated enough snow that I was digging my way balls deep. Even though it was only a few hundred meters to go to the summit, progress was so arduous and exhausting that I seriously contemplated turning around. Every step took a lot of effort. Every two steps forwards I'd slide one back. I vented my frustration with a scream. Luckily I had the entire mountain to myself that day ;-)

Contemplating giving up.
Summit slope. Finally less snow than on the ridge.

Eventually I did reach the summit - according to the summit book the first person to do so in more than a week. The way down was another piece of work. At this point the snow had softened and become treacherous. So instead of running/sliding down the mountain I had to carefully retrace my steps from the way up. This didn't even get better once I got back on the trail proper. The frozen mud had thawed and turned the trail into a soapy waterslide. "Fun".

Final approach. According to the summit book I was the first to tread here in a week.
Massive summit cross. I wonder if there's some kind of pissing contest on who's got the largest?

I'm spoiled in that I never have issues with my knees. Even on knee-breaking descents where everybody else is complaining. Well, not so this time. Apparently weight gain and lack of training shows and my left knee hurt badly on the way down. Don't go on 1500 meter snow plow missions without at least a little training. Sucks. Anyway, I made it back in time to enjoy a hot bath with Leonie splashing around happily and make me forget about the bad parts of the trip. Now I mostly remember glorious weather, beautiful views of lake Lucerne and the serene winter solutide of the mountain.

Random steel cable going down. I hope this is not a cable car?
The frozen ground from the morning turned into a slippery mudslide in the afternoon. Tricky to negotiate.

No comments:

Post a Comment